[Asterisk-Users] quad fxo

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon May 3 14:47:36 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:08, Michael Sandee wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
> >>
> >>http://voidptr.astmaster.org/loadtest1.jpg
> >>http://voidptr.astmaster.org/loadtest2.jpg
> >>
> >>The audio quality was easily monitored in contrary to often proposed
> >>"test suites"... Two phones at each end...
> >>

> >Now when will they be able to work in the US, and what is the pricing
> >for the cards?
> >
> >Truly impressed.
> >

> I was aswell. I am currently running a system with these cards in
> production and it is performing excellent, both NT P2MP and TE P2P/P2MP.
> All I know is that these cards do not yet work in the US. I wonder
> myself how big the market in the US is for BRI? I was under the
> impression it was extremely expensive, and therefor not really interesting.

In the US, you can run the gamut of different pricing. Since there was
T1 for large roll outs, and analog for lower rollouts, the BRI circuits
met with some resistance. When it was legislated that we should get BRI
access, it wasn't long before cable modems and DSL took over for connect
speed. Outside of that, there doesn't seem to be a big demand for
digital to the home.

When I had ISDN to the home, I paid just a few bucks more per month for
BRI than an analog line. This was due to a local public service
commission forcing the baby bell to play nice. Since then the ruling has
sunset, and the PUC no longer exists.

The last time we had a ISDN line for business installed, it was $94 a
month for 2B+D. We where using it for a data backup line.

Specifically, what I am interested in is the absolute signaling, and
lack of echo when connected to a user for recording. My company has a
medical transcription app, and to go into a small market, we would like
to use the BRI lines when it makes sense to not go full on for a PRI. So
depending on the facility we move hardware into, a couple of BRI lines
are cheaper than a PRI when you only need a few lines.