[Asterisk-Users] quad fxo

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon May 3 12:56:55 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 13:18, Michael Sandee wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 12:39, Michael Sandee wrote:
> >It also means he is probably running the "STABLE" version. Debian named
> >it stable only because they don't change it very often. If you want
> >something as new as the other distros, you have to go with "Testing", or
> >"Unstable", possibly even "Experimental". Just be glad they properly
> >mark their releases unlike others whose x.0 releases shouldn't ever be
> >trusted in a production environment.
> >
> Well... tell me what is unstable about putting a new pci chip
> identification database into your distro?
> I run debian stable on my workstation... Some things are ok to be
> stable... but things like this are...well not so nice.

Remember stable refers to change levels, not stability of software.
Think of it like this, you could have a piece of software that fell over
dead every time the wind blew, but it would be considered a stable
version if it didn't change very often over time. Specifically, Todays
version of stable shouldn't really change unless there is a REALLY good
reason. Even then, the changes are usually part of a security add-on and
not part of the main stable release. Changing the PDI ID database could
potentially break something else that expected that card to slightly
misrepresent.

All of it is erring on the side of super caution. If you want to ride
the cutting edge, you can choose the other versions. The choice is how
much blood are you willing to lose as you ride the cutting edge. The
closer you go, the more likely a upgrade will break something you hold
critical.

> >>replace yours with one from:
> >>http://pciids.sourceforge.net/
> >>
> >>And It *should* report it better... (Didn't verify)
> >>

> >Same should work with an upgrade in debian.
> >
> I seriously advice against that... vividly remebering the NPTL debacle
> in unstable... and loads of other glibc problems you can read about in
> the bugtracker.

I haven't seen any NPTL stuff in debian. My laptop is fairly regularly
synced with unstable, and the same goes for my home machine. My laptop
is very stable while my home machine, well I'm still sorting out a
hardware problem that makes it crash(hard lock, no console messages)
with heavy network or disk activity.

> While we are at the subject anyway I can put some on-topic info here
> aswell. Recent benchmarks with 6 QuadBRI's on a Pentium-4 2.8Ghz
> resulted in a almost 100% improvement in load under Linux 2.6(.4) over
> Linux 2.4(.25). This ofcourse resulted in less (no) quirks in the sound
> under 2.6 than under 2.4.
> The loadtest was done looping the BRI's to each other and in such way
> that we used all 24 BRI's (2 channels) resulting in 48 active channels.
>
> http://voidptr.astmaster.org/loadtest1.jpg
> http://voidptr.astmaster.org/loadtest2.jpg
>
> The audio quality was easily monitored in contrary to often proposed
> "test suites"... Two phones at each end...

Now when will they be able to work in the US, and what is the pricing
for the cards?

Truly impressed.