[Asterisk-Users] Config file references (was g726 not working)

brook davis dodecaphonic at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 10:06:45 MST 2004

>So in my sip.conf I put many variations of what I thought should go in
>there,
>finally including (to no avail):

I have had to play this guessing game as well with other codecs/config file
settings in general.  And  I think this email touches on something that has
been troubling me for sometime.

>You should allow "g726" only.

I think one problem area of documentation for asterisk (is it getting warm
in here, cause i feel some flames coming on :-) is a good resource for valid
entries in the various config files.  It would be nice to know EXACTLY what
you can put in these files ( ingnoring obligatory "stupid newbie should read
the source" comment here ) .  The wiki is a good resource for most of this,
and all in all, i'd say that you can get the job done by tracking these
things down yourself, trying various ones you come across, and weeding out
the bogus entries, but it would be nice to have at least one document that
identifies the actual grammar of these files and what entries are valid.

valid entries i know for codecs are:

g729
gsm
ulaw
alaw
g726
g723.1

I've seen other info floating around on variations of others.... these are
the ones i use primarily.
I know asterisk supports others, (ilbc, speex, etc ) but i dont know the
valid entires myself.

if anyone would like to add to this, perhaps make an ammendment to a wiki
page, that would be roses for everyone i would think.  It is important for
users to not only have a reference for the options they can set, but also
for the valid values that may be passed to these options.  I dont think that
you should have to read the source code to identify these settings and their
valid values.

how many times have you seen "reinvite=no" in a config file ??  does this
even exist ?  i dont think so.  i rest my case.

If this documentation already exists, then please let me know about it and
i'll get off my little soapbox here ;-)   probably should go ahead and to
that anyway ....

cheers, brook.