[Asterisk-Users] setting up 7940

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Wed Mar 31 06:48:26 MST 2004

Roger wrote:

> I'm starting out w/ a Cisco 7940, running the Sip image version 6.3.
> I've downloaded/installed asterisk via cvs.
>
> I've set the phone up to get its info via dhcp - the dhcp, tftp,
> astericks box & phone are on the same network.  I've gone through and
> setup a test account per the instructions @
>
> http://voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx
>
> but time I do a
>
> sip show peers
>
> *CLI> sip show peers
> Name/username    Host                 Mask             Port     Status
> 3014/3014        (Unspecified)   (D)  255.255.255.255  0        Unmonitored
>
> I get this.  Also the cisco phone says "phone unprovisioned".  I've
> tried telneting to the phone, but it looks like I'm in user mode, can't
> setup a username/password.  So far I've just be able to log in using the
> default username/password
>
> I've put the following
>
> # Telnet Level (enable or disable the ability to telnet into the phone)
> telnet_level : 2                 ; 0-Disabled (default), 1-Enabled,
> 2-Privileged
>
> in the SIP<mac addy>.cnf on the tftp server thinking that this would
> help but I still can't setup a username/password combo.
>
> The quick-start guide
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+quickstart
>
> I got lost between creating a sip account and the demo.....
>
> Just need some help getting off the ground w/ my 7940

You phone isn't getting to the tftp server or the tftp server doesn't
have the required files.  Make sure your dhcp server is specifying the
correct IP of the tftp server.  You can also check the phone's
parameters to verify the tftp address.

If that is ok then you need a file named SIP<mac address>.cnf in the
/tftpboot directory.  Find the mac address on the sticker on the bottom
of the phone ("000F...").  You'll also need SIPDefault.cnf and the other
files.

--
Michael Welter
Introspect Consulting, Inc.