[Asterisk-Users] Connecting analog trunks to FXS card

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Mar 29 09:10:53 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 09:29, Victor Perez wrote:
> We are looking for the cheapest way to show management we can use an *
> box as a VoIP gateway from our Merlin Legend. There are no T1 avail in
> the Legend but we have some analog Trunks available as backup for our
> T1. Since the X100P does not support DID and it would be way too
> complicated to set a workaround in our Merlin we are thinking on using
> FXS cards for incoming, so the merlin gets a dialtone from * and dials
> the VoIP extension. FXO trunks would be used for outgoing.
>
> Has anybody tried such a crazy setup?

You can put dialtone on any device. That part isn't hard.  You HAVE to
match the technologies together. If you are using analog trunk lines,
they will probably expect battery power on the line just like a
telephone would and would need a FXS card in asterisk to provide it. If
you are using analog station lines like what you would break out for a
fax machine, it will be providing battery and you would need a X100P to
consume that power.

Either one is able to provide dialtone and wait for digits to dial
somewhere.