[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP Images

John Baker JohnB at listbrokers.com
Sun Mar 28 12:22:18 MST 2004

I got a 7960 for evaluation purposes.  I was planning on upgrading our
phone system and wanted to see if Cisco's product was any good.  Short
answer:  Nice phone, horrible service.

Support?  I called Cisco looking for support on the phones.  They told
me to go through a reseller, and I could find one on their website.  I
contacted a local reseller, listed as having the Cisco line on Cisco's
website and guess what - they had no idea what I was talking about.
Seems they didn't even know they were listed on Cisco's website to begin
with.

I tried a second reseller with similar results.

I finally got ahold of someone at Cisco to sell me the support contract,
but it took three weeks and a couple of follow up phone calls for them
to process the paperwork and assign me a number.  You'd think Cisco
would have an easy sign up over the web for this stuff, but no.  You've
got to send them a check (Why wouldn't you take a credit card???) and
answer a barrage of questions before you get the thing.

I wondered why a company like Cisco would make you jump through so many
hoops.  I soon got my answer: one of their sales reps called within days
to discuss purchasing more product.  "I'd be glad to talk to you about
it," I told him, "but we're a bit premature.  I need to evaluate your
phone with a current image and I'm getting nowhere with your technical
support.  Any chance you could speed up the process?  It might help you
get more business..."

No chance. After three weeks worth of runaround, I finally got my SIP
image.  Again the phone was nice, but the service wasn't.  The price
definitely wasn't.  Oh, and let's not forget about the software license
requirement and the power cube (purchased separately of course)  Add all
that up and you're paying alot for what you're getting.

I went with the Polycom phones and never looked back.  They're every bit
as nice as the Cisco phones for a lot less money.

John