[Asterisk-Users] SIP Message Extension support

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Mar 25 12:43:25 MST 2004

Hal A. Lightwood wrote:

> Thanks for the quick, if not very detailed answer.  Obviously I am
> interested in this capability, is there some reason we couldn't work on
> this?  I believe SER might support it (it seems to work between FWD
> clients at least), why not asterisk?  What would be required to implement
> this functionality? Anyone?

Ok,
The medium size answer:

See http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000134

* We support some publish/subscribe events implemented in some phones.
   Snom 200 is an example. I want this tested more thorougly to be able
   to implement this in a better way.
* We support in-dialogue messaging
* We do not support Microsoft un-documented un-standardized extensions
* We do not support out-of dialogue messaging, you need a voice call

According to Mark, this last bullet is because of the current Asterisk architecture.
Some of us is discussing ways to solve this without breaking the architecture,
but we haven't reached a conclusion on how to make it happen.

Yes, using a SIP proxy in front of Asterisk will give you better support
for SIP extensions that doesn't involve a call.

/O