[Asterisk-Users] SoftFAX/spandsp

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Mar 25 08:33:49 MST 2004

Hi all,

My SoftFAX is now up to spandsp-0.0.1h.tar.gz. This version has a number
of changes in the way the V.29 modem works. It also has some missing
functionality in the T.30 implementation filled in - it was not handling
EOM messages.

The previous version failed for several reasons with a Dialogic
VFX/40ESC. This version succeeds, although it still seems to get a few
bit errors, giving some flaws on the received image. I do not see these
errors with the other FAX machines I have tried. It seems like a fairly
big improvement though, and work will continue to make it better.

app_rxfax.c and app_txfax.c have gained a new feature. Previously they
always started in answering party mode. Now this is the default
behaviour, but something like:

exten => 5678,1,txfax(/tmp/testfax.tif|caller)

will make them start in calling party mode. So far, these two apps have
been little more that testbeds for spandsp. It seems some people are
trying to use them for real work, so it seems like they should be
gaining more features. The caller mode option was asked for.

Regards,
Steve