[Asterisk-Users] Important: The Asterisk Mailing list (newsubject)

Vic Cross vicc at veejoe.com.au
Sat Mar 20 00:58:21 MST 2004

G'day Darren,

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Darren Nickerson wrote:

> I give people much more credit than you do, as does the author of that
> essay. So do most experienced list-owners out there.  Anyone who wants a
> post to go to the list will use the 'reply all' feature of their mailer.
> They'll understand that they're doing this, they'll know why they're posting
> it to the whole list, and they'll probably also expect their post to be
> reflected back to them from the list and go hunting for it if it's not.

You give too much credit to people, indeed.  I cannot say about this list,
but most lists I use have high corporate populations, where the users
*have* to use mailers like Outlook or (cringe) Notes.  For mailing list
admins to expect users of these mailers to try and find the functions
referred to in the article is ludicrous (and yes, I know I just said in a
prior note "use the function of your mailer", but I was referring to the
standard Reply function -- if you have ever tried to use a mailing list
with Lotus Notes you will bless the list admin who maintains the
status-quo and munges "Reply-to").

> Some very compelling arguments are very clearly explained in the essay I
> pointed you to, and replying with "use your mail filters or unsubscribe" is
> not a very productive response (even if it COULD fix the problem).

Nor is "List owner, action my request or resign" ;-)

I did read the article you pointed to, and neither you or the article's
author have convinced me that this is a good thing.

When the entire world is using My Favourite Mailer, let's talk again.
Until then, let's stick with what works for -- and is understood by -- the
vast majority of people.

Cheers,
Vic Cross