[Asterisk-Users] Important: The Asterisk Mailing list (newsubject)

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Fri Mar 19 21:49:10 MST 2004

> Removing the reply to all is a bad idea, How are you going to be able to
> tell someone to search the list, if they don't reply to the list. People
> will answer the same questions over and over again, use your mail software
> and write some filters, or remove yourself from this list, and use the IRC
> room.

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. If you disagree with the arguments outlined in the
URL I posted, please tell us why. From your reply, it almost seems like you
didn't read it. Please don't insult my intelligence by suggesting I can
somehow design a mail filter that will magically filter out all of the
accidental (and often embarrassing) posts to the mailing list. I can't, and
neither can you - there's no heuristic or algorithm that can know this.
Besides, we should not have to.

I give people much more credit than you do, as does the author of that
essay. So do most experienced list-owners out there.  Anyone who wants a
post to go to the list will use the 'reply all' feature of their mailer.
They'll understand that they're doing this, they'll know why they're posting
it to the whole list, and they'll probably also expect their post to be
reflected back to them from the list and go hunting for it if it's not.

Some very compelling arguments are very clearly explained in the essay I
pointed you to, and replying with "use your mail filters or unsubscribe" is
not a very productive response (even if it COULD fix the problem).

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer