[Asterisk-Users] High latency from Europe, 500-800ms.

bill at computrust.com bill at computrust.com
Fri Mar 19 12:57:04 MST 2004

Maybe I'm not articulating myself well.

The 7940 on the same network in Europe *works great*, no problems, sound
is perfect, even with the higher latency.

If I take that 7940 and have it connect to a *local* Asterisk server,
which connects to the states, it sucks.  The 7940 though, connecting
directly to the states, works great.

Bill

>Not all sat connections are one way. But the issue with sat connections

>is.... *drumroll* latency!
>As the signal is beeing relayed over the sattelite this will cause
>latency. Also if the sat service is not
>providing enough downstream it's bad too.
>
>I would definately look into getting your network straighend out first.

>There are many factors.
>Is your connection shared? What speeds?
>
>Let say it like that if you have people on your local lan using
bandwith
>or running peer 2 peer
>filesharing stuff this will take away your upstream speed. Do some
tests.