[Asterisk-Users] High latency from Europe, 500-800ms.

Paul Cheng asterisk at klarium.com
Sun Mar 21 05:15:05 MST 2004

You are right to suspect codec issues here. What codec are you using at
the various endpoints?

Make sure that the Asterisk box is set up with the correct codecs in
the conf files, otherwise it will try to transcode and this will often
cause bad audio quality like you mentioned. If you're using G729, make
sure that you don't have any rTt or other options in dial enabled,
otherwise, Asterisk will proxy the media.

I've read in previous threads that the jitter buffer is broken in iax
and we tried with and without and it was much better without.