[Asterisk-Users] Can i do voice chat without using the hardware

Matt Ammerman Matt at DiRAD.com
Thu Mar 18 10:06:59 MST 2004

Sure thing.  You're going to have to get SIP involved though.  This
means using sip.conf to create new sip users.
Do a search on www.voip-info.org for sip.conf and it will explain how to
configure a user for SIP.
Then you'll need SIP clients (hard VoIP phones, or SIP soft clients such
as Windows Messenger or X-Lite).
You can make VoIP calls over an existing network infrastructure without
analog hardware.
For instance, I have an internal Asterisk PBX allowing VoIP
conversations between X-Lite, Windows Messenger, and Pingtel clients -
all over networking connections, no T1/E1/Analog needed.
You need the hardware when you start interfacing with the PSTN for the
most part.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of suresh kumar
Sent: March 18, 2004 11:21 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Can i do voice chat without using the hardware

Hi,

I am new to VOIP and Asterisk. I have downloaded and installed Asterisk
in my Linux machine and tested using asterisk -vvvvc command .... it
works fine. It's an excellent product.
Without using any of Digium's hardware or T1 or E1 interfaces , can i do
voice chat between two computers (intranet/internet)?

If possible, How can i do that? (Any configuaration setting is
required?)

Waitng for your help.

Regards,
Sur