[Asterisk-Users] how many potential customers out there utilizing AIX

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Wed Mar 17 18:02:06 MST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, dfeuer wrote:
> We are a service provider looking at integrating *, and notice there are
> a lot of issues with the company's out there that offer services with
> AIX.

AIX or IAX?

> If there were a $20.00 a month program which included unified
> communications with the * platform or just straight termination and
> origination and it included all the calls in-bound and out bound in the
> US, and really competitive rates for outside of the US, is there a large
> market for these services.  We would offer a "one number" application
> which would include fax with that number and a local phone number as
> well as offer toll-free numbers for the continental US.

what's really lacking in this area is people who provide local numbers in
the smaller markets. Everybody does NY, Chicago, all over California, etc.
But apparently there are few who offer numbers in "smaller" markets like
Salt Lake City Utah, Boise Idaho, etc. If you could find a way to do that
at a competitive price, then that would be something to set you apart from
"the other guys."

Another thing that's lacking is support for * and other iax/sip devices.
NuFone and VoicePulse Connect are the only (US-based) providers who do
this (that I'm aware of). I tried to use another provider, who
incidentally uses * as their backend, but it was a joke. There were
problems with the DIDs and their support people wouldn't respond. I
decided to cancel the service, and even the billing people wouldn't
respond! Finally had to have the credit card company do a chargeback for
me -- that got their attention, and for the first time, they called me
back. And they said "we don't have any record of you asking to cancel your
account..?"

So, these would be some minimum things you should meet if you're going to
join the crowd of VOIP terminators:
- local numbers in the "other" markets
- some basic support (ie provide name/password/server name for customer to
use to configure his/her own equipment)
- ANSWER EMAILS!! (okay, that's a sore spot for me right now)

Greg