[Asterisk-Users] Re: Calling one local SIP user from another (using X-Lite)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Mar 16 21:13:19 MST 2004

>>>Try adding something similer to this in the default context of your
>>>extensions.conf:
>>>exten => <your exten>,1,Dial(SIP/user1,20, tr)
>>>exten => <your exten>,1,Dial(SIP/user2,20, tr)
>Always remember that device names - peers, users, friends - in any channel are
>not the same as extensions. You call extensions (defined in extensions.conf)
>and the Dial application connects an extension to a device on a channel.
>
>If you're used to a SIP proxy, this is not very easy to understand. I confuse
>myself regurlarly in this area.
>
>You have to remember that Asterisk is a multiprotocol (VoIP and PSTN)
>PBX where we have to define a protocol-neutral layer to connect everything
>together. This layer is the dial plan in the file extensions.conf.
>
>Believe me, you will appreciate it when you get the whole picture.

Olle,

Yes, I get it now.  (I'm a computer scientist, so I'm used to dealing with
layers of abstraction :-)

(Nonetheless, it would be useful if there were a comment added to the
default "sip.conf" file explaining that, for each SIP user (or friend etc.)
defined in the "sip.conf" file, there needs to be a corresponding
'extension' defined in "extensions.conf", with an example of how to do this.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>