[Asterisk-Users] General Caller ID question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Mar 14 05:10:55 MST 2004

> > (1) I don't think you can set CID on a POTS line (or BRI ISDN) at all so,
> > you'll need PRI or DS1.
> >
> > (2) You can't set the name on what is sent to the telco.  Only the number.
> >
> > John
> >

> Hmm, ok.  How are these apps used, then, and in what context/environments?

CallerID is primarily used for incoming calls (from the pstn) as others have
mentioned, and between pbx's (including multiple instances of *). However,
some telcos do allow you to transmit CallerID back into the pstn switch.
Whether they accept it or not is:
 a. possible limitation of their pstn CO equipment,
 b. they just don't support it (even if equipment can) and won't allow it,
 c. they don't know how to configure to allow it.
 d. government/regulators don't allow it
 e. may allow the name but not the number

It is not uncommon to allow it for some large pstn customers, cellular
providers, etc. Frequently, the only way to know for sure is to get to know
the telco engineers; the technicians and business office folks probably
don't have a clue.