[Asterisk-Users] Hang-ups when using IAX

Darrin Johnson djohnson at isdomaininc.com
Fri Mar 12 14:45:21 MST 2004

I have two Asterisk systems running in my environment.  In between the two
there is a router running NAT.  One server services extensions 90XX and the
other extensions 95XX.  Both boxes are running Red Hat 9 with version 0.7.2
Asterisk.

I am running IAX and registering an IAX softphone to each server - so two
IAX clients with one registered as a 90XX number to the 90XX server and one
registered to the 95XX server with a 95XX number.  A call is initiated from
the client registered to the 90XX server to the client registered on the
95XX server.  The call is completed successfully but then after about 30
seconds to a minute the initiating client complains that the remote user
(95XX client) hung-up.  The 95XX client has the connection still open and
live until the hang-up button is manually clicked.

The debug in Asterisk shows that the 90XX server records a remote hang-up,
but the 95XX server does not record anything until the hang-up button is
pushed from the 95XX client.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I would be getting a hang-up after
about 30 seconds when using IAX in this type of scenario?  I have tried
multiple clients with the same result which is implying there must be a
problem server-to-server.

Thanks much for your help!

Darrin Johnson

Systems Engineer