[Asterisk-Users] BETA RADIUS support for Asterisk

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Wed Mar 10 14:13:48 MST 2004

Doug Harris wrote:

> First of all thanks for doing this. Now we can play with any VoIP g/w
> in the same level field. Being a new user always wondered why there is
> no radius support in asterisk.

RADIUS is absolutely not necessary... We have countless gateways (5300s,
Qunitum, etc) running perfectly fine without it.  RADIUS is just a
broken way to deal with authentication and accounting, just because some
Cisco moron figured since it worked so well in the Dialup world it would
work as well with VoIP...  Boy where they wrong.

I don't want to hear people crying when (not if) RADIUS fails them.
I've been there and seen the Evil.

Why not leverage the power of Asterisk as a soft-switch?

Jeremy McNamara

P.S. I will not discuss this topic any further.