[Asterisk-Users] BETA RADIUS support for Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 10 14:21:48 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:13, Doug Harris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0001193
>
> First of all thanks for doing this. Now we can play with any VoIP g/w
> in the same level field. Being a new user always wondered why there is
> no radius support in asterisk.
>
> Sorry for the stupid question; Why is this in bug note. Is there a bug
> that needs to be fixed before we use this, or is this the general way
> that one could publish an add-on to asterisk.

Maybe you should read and understand the comments on licensing. Maybe a
going over the licensing threads here would also be needed.

For the short story, Digium dual licenses asterisk. There is a GPL
license for those of us that don't need proprietary support, and then
there is a proprietary license that is charged for and is a fork of
asterisk by Digium. This is why disclaimers are important for those who
contribute patches. If there isn't a disclaimer, Digium can not include
it in the proprietary version of asterisk. If they can not include it in
the proprietary version, they tend to not allow it in their version of
the GPL releases so they don't have to maintain a real proprietary fork
as well as the GPL version.

So far the majority of us are cool with this fact and can work around
any annoyances this causes. But as stated in the comments in that bug,
there needs to be a disclaimer from free radius to use their software in
such a way.

> Dough

Fairly appropriate sig.