[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Codecs [G.729]

Unavailable ID asterisk-users at betasphere.com
Wed Mar 10 10:03:57 MST 2004

Rich,

In real world, using real tool, getting real number.  You don't expect to
either talk only mode or listen only mode.  Per call must have Rx & Tx for
inbound & outbound.

The numbers look more like 83Kbits/sec (thanks Andrew Gillham) in the wiki
page or the cisco bandwidth consumsion (thanks Alex Volkow).  I'm using
IPTraf to monitor the bandwidth.  When there is no call, it's 1.8 Kbits/sec.
When making a call, it's 166.8 Kbits/sec

ULAW codec:

Total rates:                166.8 kbits/sec
                                 103.6 packets/sec

Incoming rates:           83.6 kbits/sec
                                  52.2 packets/sec

Outgoing rates:            83.2 kbits/sec
                                   51.4 packets/sec

Engineering rate is per channel but to calculate the bandwidth consumsion,
it must be in realtime full-duplex.