[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Codecs [G.729]

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Wed Mar 10 10:55:29 MST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:03:57AM -0800, <Unavailable ID> wrote:
> Rich,
>
> In real world, using real tool, getting real number.  You don't expect to
> either talk only mode or listen only mode.  Per call must have Rx & Tx for
> inbound & outbound.

[...]

> Engineering rate is per channel but to calculate the bandwidth consumsion,
> it must be in realtime full-duplex.

Sure, but in the real world, IP trafic is mostly carried over full
duplex links (either serial or switched Ethernet), so you usually
consider the trafic in one direction only (provided it's symetrical).

If I consider an E1 to be 2 Mbps (2 inbound, 2 outbound, really), and
Fast Ethernet to be 100 Mbps (again, 100+100 in full duplex), I shall
consider U-law to be 83 kbits/s, not 166.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive