[Asterisk-Users] Motorola / Vanguard, H.323 and Asterisk

Warren H. Prince wprince at unconundrum.com
Tue Mar 2 19:33:20 MST 2004

Reid,
    We were early adopters of the Motorola Vanguard VoIP solution, and
were dismayed when the product line faded.  Quite frankly, I can't
imagine why you'd want to integrate the two solutions.  To my memory,
Motorola offered only H.323 support, no SIP or IAX.  Further, the codecs
are probably not supported by *.
    As I write this, I'm trying to imagine what you have in mind.  Bring
FXO's and FXS's into the Motorola and .....convert the traffic to H.323
to talk to Asterisk?  To do what that the Motorola can't do natively?
    Really, I think you'd never be happy with the solution.  We're
moving from the Motorola gear to * for the more advanced features, and
improved codecs.. and to combine everything the Motorolas did into one box.
    You could pick up an Adtran 750 on ebay, and buy a T1 card from
Digium and you're in business.... and don't have to mess with the codecs
and all that...