[Asterisk-Users] How to test E1 interfacing?

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Tue Jun 29 06:49:36 MST 2004

Hi Tony-

Two E1's running on a TE405P should be a better choice, as the TE405 is
capable of "bus mastering" which gives better performance.  Besides, you
only use one PCI slot in this configuration.  However, of course you lose
board redundancy.

You can run 1 E1 port to another by using a crossover cable, as follows:

1 -- 4
2 -- 5
4 -- 1
5 -- 2

You can then use the outbound call generation capability of asterisk (see
the file called sample.call) to generate calls on 1 span, and receive them
on the other with the normal dialplan.  I've done this many times for load
testing.  You can do it on one machine no problem.

There's a little more information about this on the Wiki:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+dimensioning

Regards,
Scott

Scott M. Stingel