[Asterisk-Users] Re: How to test E1 interfacing?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 12:41:11 MST 2004

Scott,

Many thanks for your reply:

Scott Stingel <scott at evtmedia.com> wrote:

> Two E1's running on a TE405P should be a better choice, as the TE405 is
> capable of "bus mastering" which gives better performance.  Besides, you
> only use one PCI slot in this configuration.  However, of course you lose
> board redundancy.

OK, this sounds like the way to go.

> You can run 1 E1 port to another by using a crossover cable, as follows:
>
> 1 -- 4
> 2 -- 5
> 4 -- 1
> 5 -- 2
>
> You can then use the outbound call generation capability of asterisk (see
> the file called sample.call) to generate calls on 1 span, and receive them
> on the other with the normal dialplan.  I've done this many times for load
> testing.  You can do it on one machine no problem.

That's interesting. I don't yet know much about the PRI protocols like Q.931
and GR303, but what you've said suggests that the protocol used by the
originator to place a call via the trunk is the same as that used by the
trunk to deliver a call to the destination. Is that correct?

> There's a little more information about this on the Wiki:
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+dimensioning

Thanks, I'll have another read.

Cheers
Tony