[Asterisk-Users] 183 Session in Progress

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Mon Jun 21 16:38:09 MST 2004

Hi Charles,

Perhaps I misunderstood your situation.

I thought that your original problem was: Calls from a SIP phone
through Asterisk to an ATA or a 5300 did not provide audible
ringing to the caller when the called party was being alerted.
I also assumed that some calls made through the 5300 were destined
for the PSTN.

If the above is true, then converting 183->180 is fine for the ATAs,
but has problems on PSTN calls.  That's because there are many
situations where there is no answer supervision, but there is audio
information that the caller should hear.  Common examples include
"number is not in service", "number has been changed", "the customer
you're trying to reach is out of range", and similar announcements.

If such announcements are now being heard on the calling SIP phones,
then the 5300 must be sending 200 (Connect) in those cases.  That
may also be a problem, because the caller would be billed for calls
that did not really complete.

Also note that in many situations, if the called PSTN party is busy,
only an audio indication is available.  Try some busy numbers via
your various carriers to see if it works properly.

Even if the 180 is sent only when the called phone is really ringing,
there still might be some confusion on international calls.  When I
call e.g. France, I expect to hear a European ring tone.  If an
American tone plays instead, I would assume that the call was
misrouted, hang up, and try again.

Sorry that I don't know why the suggested fixes didn't work.  It
should not be difficult to use Ethereal to see where the audio
is getting lost.

Regards,

Stewart