[Asterisk-Users] SIP error 407 - can't make outgoing calls

Paul Mahler pmahler at signate.com
Fri Jun 18 16:26:33 MST 2004

I am using a IPDialog siptone II. I can take incoming calls, but when I try
and make an outgoing call I get a SIP 407 error.

Can some kind soul explain to me what I am doing wrong?

Here's what I found in the wiki:

  If a proxy does not accept the credentials sent with a request, it SHOULD
return a 407 (Proxy Authentication Required). The response MUST include a
Proxy-Authenticate header field containing a (possibly new) challenge
applicable to the proxy for the requested resource.

Here's what I have in sip.conf
  [514]
  type=friend           ; This device takes and makes calls
  username=514
  secret=password
  context=inside
  callerid="Paul Mahler" <4154424024>
  qualify=1000
  host=dynamic          ; This host is not on the same IP addr every time
  canreinvite=no
  mailbox=514 at inside           ; Activate the message waiting light for
waiting messages
  ;defaultip=192.168.0.102

Here's the sip debug showing the error:

  to 209.234.100.68:5060
  Retransmitting #5 (no NAT):
  SIP/2.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required
  Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 209.234.100.68:5060