[Asterisk-Users] TE410P / Eicon PRI

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Mon Jun 21 09:41:21 MST 2004

> It doesn't matter what facilities you use. If you get libtiff to open a
> bad TIFF file, it may well dump core. TIFF has been one of the most
> abused standards over the years. It used to be that hardly any FAX
> software would read the TIFFs produced by another package - both because
> they were too stupid to read perfectly good TIFFs, and because many of
> the TIFFs were not good. I used to have endless trouble with libtiff
> dumping core on those bad TIFFs. If you have had no trouble, your TIFFs
> must have lead a sheltered life :-)

Steve,

Again we see your reality not matching ours. ;-)

In our reality Sam Leffler, the original author of HylaFAX, also authored an
incredibly useful library called libtiff. I think this was while he was at
Pixar, ... but at any rate libtiff was (and still is) very robust, and very
unlikely to dump core at a moment's notice. Sam retired from the project and
there have been a few quality control issues since then (very specific and
limited in scope), but it's still fairly actively maintained and still 'good
code' IMHO.

TIFF and standards are not entirely synonymous, I agree. Blame Adobe,
keepers of that spec for not disseminating it effectively. That's just
politics though ... libtiff's stability is not linked to that.

Have you reported the stability problems you're seeing to the libtiff crew?
They have a bugzilla.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson