[Asterisk-Users] embedded Asterisk

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Fri Jun 18 06:49:38 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 09:11, Klaus-Peter Junghanns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Actually, you the Geode CPU mentioned below is a 5x86 (486 platform) at
> > 233 MHz. If you take Pebble (http://www.nycwireless.net/pebble/), which
> > is a downstripped Debian (< 64 MB) on a readonly ext2 filesystem, you
> > should be grand. Installing asterisk + some extra stuff will probably
> > require, that you have at least a 128MB or 256MB flash or so.
>
> Dont go for "stripped down but complete" distributions which include a
> lot of stuff that you dont need, e.g. gcc. Go for a rescue system, like
> i used the SuSE rescue system (14 mb), then you can add what you need
> (sshd,...) and compile asterisk on another box and then just copy it.
> My compressed ramdisk image is 32 mb, including all voice prompts and
> some mp3s for MOH.

The good thing about this stripped down image is that it's still
upgradable as regular (apt-get) and has the script that then removes
uneccessary documents etc.

It is a matter of convienience.

If it was a matter of space i probably go for a uclib/busybox from
scratch solution.

The rescue cd's often also contain much that you don't need.

Martin List-Petersen
martin (at) list (dash) petersen (dot) net