[Asterisk-Users] embedded Asterisk

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Thu Jun 17 08:00:34 MST 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 4:48 AM, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> It is that simple?
> Probably you want something that actually boots the system too. I don't
> know if the ISOLINUX pakage supports a LILO kind of thing, but I guess
> it
> does. That should be in the MBR of your flash disk and you could
> probably
> boot it. I wrote the instructions by mind, so probably something is
> missing :)

ISOLINUX is part of a family--SYSLINUX for booting from hard drives,
ISOLINUX for booting from CDs, and PXELINUX for booting over the
network.  The configuration is nearly identical for all three.

Strictly speaking, you don't really even need the rescue disk.  It's
surprisingly easy to build a complete Linux system from scratch using
uclibc and busybox.  Just build busybox statically linked to uclibc
(amazingly enough, the last time I did that, the static uclibc busybox
was smaller then the dynamically linked glibc busybox) and install it
to a temp directory.  Then create a couple extra directories (/dev,
/tmp, /etc), populate /dev, create a short /etc/passwd and /etc/group,
and you should have a bootable Linux image in under 1 MB.  Add asterisk
to that, and you'll be ready to go.

Scott