[Asterisk-Users] Intel 537EP chipset, revisited

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Jun 11 21:34:14 MST 2004

On 2004.06.11 16:15 Chris Glover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a thought, are you using the XT-PIC mode of IRQ address (old
> style)
> on the new IO-APIC version that Kernel 2.6.x supports?
>
> I found with my Intel 537 modem that it would hang a machine using
> XT-PIC
> (admittedly it was IRQ sharing with all the other crap in the machine)
> but
> using IO-APIC things work better.
>
> IO-APIC should be supported on modern P4 boards, not sure about other
> processors. My Duron 700 supoorts IO-APIC but the board doesn't.
>
> It's one of the kernel build options.

The development machine on which I'm doing this testing has a VIA
Apollo Pro+ chipsetted motherboard, Intel PIII-400 processor, so no
true APIC anyway.  Also, I was using Linux kernel 2.4.20 without APIC
installed there, either, but just to test (and since upgrading is so
fun anyway) I upgraded to 2.6.7-rc1 and wound up with essentially same
problem (module load errors with one PCI configuration, lockups with
another).

I'm guessing, however, that the i537 that you are using is not an
i537EP, which is what I have.  I'd suspect that the "i537" that you
have actually uses an MD3200 chipset on it.  The i537EP has an
FA82537EP chipset.  Such a small model name change indicates a
relatively large hardware change, apparently.

Thanks.

Lee.