[Asterisk-Users] NetworkWorld article on Open Source Telephony

gromit timweb at txrx.org.uk
Fri Jun 11 11:31:29 MST 2004

I hope we can get ISDN in Sao Paulo - we have been told it is available
as we are planning to deploy an Asterisk box in Brazil.

Having said this, Asterisk is what users make it.  If you want R2
signalling (and I think a lot of people in South America do!) then
please get on and write the module or put a bounty on it so that some
enterprising software developer can do it for you.  In the rest of the
world ISDN BRI and PRI are THE standard telecomms building blocks for
all but the smallest of telephone installations, and Asterisk support
for this is improving on a regular basis because that is what most
people outside the US are using.

 It is really only the US that seems not to understand ISDN (especially
BRI) and there are some quirks relating to ISDN that I am sure will be
ironed out sooner rather than later.

As regards DTMF caller ID, I think the beginnings of this option are
already there as I seem to recall that the CVS head now has experimental
support for UK caller ID which requires line monitoring during ringing.
Adding DTMF is not difficult.

Rather than point out the areas where Asterisk is weak, fix it and make
it do what you want, and add it in for the benefit of everyone!.  That
is what open source is all about.

Rgds
Tim