[Asterisk-Users] GSM to ISDN or TAPI

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 14:53:53 MST 2004

Storer, Darren wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> CL> Does the incoming DTMF and voice work over the serial
> CL> interface with the 22?
>
> I can't help but feel that you are going about this all the wrong way (based
> upon the limited information you have chosen to share with us). If you need
> to pass control information from one node to another and you have a pair of
> Nokia 22s then why not simply send an SMS message? Maybe this is not a good
> solution for you but until you "fill in the gaps" it's the best I can come
> up with.
> IE. Tell us a bit more about what you are trying to achieve.

I am going to have some remote machines which need to have adjustments
made to their settings on occasion, the most cost effective and user
friendly way I can come up with is a simple IVR system that says press 1
to set limits on flow, press two for flow status report etc.
It will use a combination of CLID and pin number to authenticate the
engineer doing the config.
So what I need is something that can take a pay as you go sim (least
cost for line rental) and accepts calls without too many problems.
As I said earlier I had a Nokia 32;
I plugged it into a windows box with USR voice modems and it would not
work at all, it only provides a dial tone when connected to select
hardware, certain phones and one or two winmodems, I could not justify
the cost of the X100p for testing based on the mixed results.
So now I am looking at finding some other method of linking the GSM to
the PBX, I like the concept of digital all the way and RS-232 "looks
like voice modem" would be great.

Hope that clears up my requirements.

Thanks for the help

Chris.