[Asterisk-Users] GSM to ISDN or TAPI

Storer, Darren starusers at comgate.tv
Fri Jun 11 00:57:20 MST 2004

Hi Chris,

from what you've described below it sounds like a Nokia device with a serial
connection to a host will provide the C&C features you need. Much as I like
IVR applications the ubiquitous GSM handset makes portable SMS access easy,
secure and the output can be stored for future reference.

With a little forethought you can design a simple protocol that can use
either a central GUI front-end or direct SMS input from an engineer's own
handset; authentication can still be performed against CLI and a PIN
contained within the SMS.

The results should be less prone to mis-keying as commands can be reviewed
before execution/transmission and the results can be sent back in writing
for subsequent reference. Another benefit with SMS is remote alarm handling
which is easier to guarantee because the messages are sent via a store and
forward system, so the recipient's handset does not have to be powered on
24x7 in order to ensure receipt of all alarms.

Both Nokia Premicell (22) and Ericsson equivalents are currently being sold
cheaply on UK eBay.

Good Luck.

Darren
--