[Asterisk-Users] ISDN BRI with National (north america) Signalling

Brian Cuthie brian at systemix.com
Wed Jun 9 09:34:21 MST 2004

Actually, here in Maryland ISDN BRI is cheaper than POTS. POTS business
lines are like $20 each, and caller-id is around $8.50 per line. So two
lines with caller-id are about $57. On the other hand, a BRI, which has
awesome voice quality and includes CLID is $45. If you get a residential
ISDN line they can be as cheap as ~$30.

And I agree with whomever said that Verizon doesn't quite get it.
Whenever I call about an ISDN line they try really hard to steer me
towards DSL. Although if you get to the right business unit they're a
little better.

Years ago I had a bunch of AT&T 7506 phones on a BRI with CO-based
custom ISDN centrex. It was like having my own $20M switch. Of course
convincing them that they *could* do this, and that it was a tariffed
service was difficult. There were times I had to fax them copies of the
relevant ISDN tariff and pages from the 5ESS provisioning guide.

ISDN can be very, very cool. The Europeans have figured this out, but
the US telcos are just waiting to be put out of their misery. Hopefully
VoIP will do it.

-brian