[Asterisk-Users] ISDN BRI with National (north america) Signalling

Justin Huff jjhuff at mspin.net
Wed Jun 9 09:01:10 MST 2004

> Anyone actually got this working with asterisk ?
Yup....but it was a year ago, so I've forgotten the specifics.

> I have read posts that it is possible with capi and the diva server cards.
> Regular diva and diva pro both claim to support NI-1 and NI-2 and CAPI -
> will they work as well ?
I used CAPI plus a single port Diva server card.  The passive cards
don't have the required Linux CAPI support from my understanding.

> If you have it working, please tell me - telco, signalling type, and
> hardware model, and how configured in asterisk.
This was with BellSouth, NI-1 w/ the EZ1 package.  We tried to switch to
EKTS, but that futzed it up.

I used the drivers from http://www.melware.net/  There is also firmware,
I can't recall if I got it from them or not.

> Also for any ISDN gurus out there - is there a simple way to loop back BRI
Not really, you'd need master/network mode support.  That is currently
available only on the passive EuroISDN cards.  kapejod has it on his
list, but as a lower priority.

For what's it worth, it ISDN worked great.  I'm sure it's only gotten
better over the past year.  It's a great voice service when you just
want a couple channels.  Now if only US telcos weren't so dumb about
it...they just want to sell you DSL since ISDN is such a slow data
connection..grrrr

--Justin