[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

Duane duane at e164.org
Wed Jun 9 03:55:05 MST 2004

Darren Edmundson wrote:

> ...until you need to place a call to someone who *has* followed the
> standard.

I'm hedging my bets and advertising the A record, if at a later date I
introduce an SRV record the A record will still be valid, and will be
identical to the current one, oh look hasn't broken...

In any case if you want to receive calls my advice still stands, use an
A record, if you want to be compliant to standards and get no calls only
use a SRV... I believe SER and I know the grandstream BT 101's have SRV
off by default as well...

So while you are arguing the merits endlessly of SRV records, those that
took 5 seconds to setup and publish an A record were getting calls...

As I said, if I have a mail server on the A record of a domain and it's
set to accept mail it will still work, regardless of anything else, same
with SIP URLs...

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the
stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence."