[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Jun 8 10:20:48 MST 2004

On 08-06 18:06, Duane wrote:
> Darren Edmundson wrote:
>
> My argument isn't about the standards or other software in general, my
> argument is how asterisk (and in this case only asterisk) comes, that is
> with SRV *disabled*, and the fact many people wouldn't understand what
> it's for, or why they should enable it.
>
> The documentation, well what documentation there is, simply isn't
> coherent enough, or detailed enough to explain these things, and the few
> lines in the config file certainly doesn't explain anything either...
>
> ;srvlookup=yes ; Enable DNS SRV lookups on outbound calls
>                ; Note: Asterisk only uses the first host in SRV records
>
> Joe Public stumbles upon asterisk, not a clue what all the features and
> modules and what not is for, do you think he'll be clued up enough to
> remove the leading semicolon???
>
> That is what my point is, until asterisk has it enabled by default, and
> all the current user base use a version of asterisk that supports it
> properly is there all that much point in promoting it so heavily?
>
> Now how many pieces of MTA software out of the box have MX record
> lookups disabled??? I'd hazard a guess at none...

  In your own sandbox, feel free to do whatever you want. If the companies you
  promote asterisk to are going to call only you, feel free to promote
  whatever you want to them. But if any of them want to be
  interoperable with the rest of SIP-world, please STOP telling them to
  use A records instead of SRV. That way you are forcing others to do
  hacks they do not want to do !

  SRV is essential for SIP, whether you like it or not, and there are
  companies out there that rely on it.

  Moreover, SIP is not just asterisk. You have absolutely no idea how
  many other SIP implementations are out there, you have no idea whether
  they follow RFC3265 or not, you have no idea how many companies rely
  or SRV. Nobody knows this and it is clear that your arguments are
  based on what do you *THINK* others do. And this is very bad because
  it kills interoperability.

  So, please, stop promoting using of A records instead of SRV, that would
  make our life a little bit easier, thank you.

     Jan.