[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

Duane duane at e164.org
Tue Jun 8 01:06:03 MST 2004

Darren Edmundson wrote:

> This is the correct way to do things. This is how asterisk should do them.
> If you have a problem with the standard, the IETF SIP WG is the correct
> place to air them, but I suggest the people there will be only too happy
> to tell you why you're so very wrong too.

My argument isn't about the standards or other software in general, my
argument is how asterisk (and in this case only asterisk) comes, that is
with SRV *disabled*, and the fact many people wouldn't understand what
it's for, or why they should enable it.

The documentation, well what documentation there is, simply isn't
coherent enough, or detailed enough to explain these things, and the few
lines in the config file certainly doesn't explain anything either...

;srvlookup=yes ; Enable DNS SRV lookups on outbound calls
                ; Note: Asterisk only uses the first host in SRV records

Joe Public stumbles upon asterisk, not a clue what all the features and
modules and what not is for, do you think he'll be clued up enough to
remove the leading semicolon???

That is what my point is, until asterisk has it enabled by default, and
all the current user base use a version of asterisk that supports it
properly is there all that much point in promoting it so heavily?

Now how many pieces of MTA software out of the box have MX record
lookups disabled??? I'd hazard a guess at none...

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the
stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence."