[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

Darren Edmundson asterisk at at.dot.durge.org
Tue Jun 8 02:31:26 MST 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Duane wrote:
> Darren Edmundson wrote:
> My argument isn't about the standards or other software in general, my
> argument is how asterisk (and in this case only asterisk) comes, that is
> with SRV *disabled*, and the fact many people wouldn't understand what
> it's for, or why they should enable it.

I apologise if I misunderstood your aims, however surely it is infinitely
better to try and get asterisk standards compliant by default (preferably
before the 1.0/1.1 release) rather than resort to promoting DNS hacks to
get around what should be an easy enough bug to fix.

> That is what my point is, until asterisk has it enabled by default, and
> all the current user base use a version of asterisk that supports it
> properly is there all that much point in promoting it so heavily?

There is a chicken-and-egg situation. If everyone uses only A-records then
there will be no impetus for UAs and servers to support SRVs. If servers
don't support it, then Admins will either choose to use only A records, or
be forced to.

Currently the SIP install base is small enough that things can still be
fixed. The more people out there with non-compliant setups, the more
difficult it will be to make the change. By all means, if you're running
business critical services then use the A-record hack... but turn on SRV
lookups on your own host. Be liberal in what you accept, strict in what
you produce, as the saying goes.

Since I can't see any obvious discussion of this on the -dev list archive,
or in mantis, I've opened a bug report to see if the powers that be
agree...

> Now how many pieces of MTA software out of the box have MX record
> lookups disabled??? I'd hazard a guess at none...

I remember hearing of one common windoze one which even recently, but that
might have been a bulk-mailer, and I think it's probably a desirable
feature that a large proportion of spam be undeliverable :)

 - Darren

--
Darren Edmundson - Internet & 3G Technologist
Voice/Video: +447782324636  Fax: +447782799422
MSN:gridzero at hotmail.com