[Asterisk-Users] Re: DNS SRV records

Darren Edmundson asterisk at at.dot.durge.org
Tue Jun 8 00:55:17 MST 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Duane wrote:
> Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> [...H]owever sending mail to a host with only an
> A record will still be delivered if the host is configured to accept
> mail for the domain just like sip servers will accept the call if it's
> configured to accept the call...

Yes it will, however that doesn't change the fact that the sending MTA is
misconfigured, and you're relying on luck to get your mails through. The
vast majority of domains will indeed fail.

> ...using the
> domain as the hostname and pointing that to a server *WILL* work just
> like SIP urls will...

You're making some very big assumptions about how everyone else in the
world will set up their SIP servers, and they're wrong assumptions. I
suggest you read RFC 3263, which states, quite unambiguously how, given a
URL of form sip:user at domain.tld, your SIP server/UA should perform NAPTR
lookups, then SRV lookups, and only if the SRV records fail, should it
just send and hope, (as you suggest).

This is the correct way to do things. This is how asterisk should do them.
If you have a problem with the standard, the IETF SIP WG is the correct
place to air them, but I suggest the people there will be only too happy
to tell you why you're so very wrong too.

 - Darren

--
Darren Edmundson - Internet & 3G Technologist
Voice/Video: +447782324636  Fax: +447782799422
MSN:gridzero at hotmail.com