[Asterisk-Users] Re: Transfer with Budgetone

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Fri Jun 4 11:01:51 MST 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Eric Wieling wrote:
>
>> Why are you even looking at VoIP?  Analog ports and phones are pretty
>> cheap.  They are not "pretty", but they are cheap and all the smarts are
>> in the PBX.
>

> Free calls to the US, basically, since the leased line is dirt cheap to
> run.  ie. the purpose of the exercise is to save money not spend it.
>
> I don't define the parameters, just work with them...  I happened to
> mention I was interested in VOIP at the wrong moment and got landed with
> the task.  TBH for what they need they could save a bundle by routing
> the calls through a cheap analogue telco (eg. call18866) and forgetting
> VOIP for a few years until it becomes commodity hardware.
>
> Tony

Well, that's easy enough.  Set an * server up and plug one (or more) of
your existing analog outbound lines into the * server.  Then, set your
Analog PBX up to route calls that begin with say *8 or whatever via the
* server.  Normal calls go out over PSTN, "cheap US LD" could then be
dialed as *81NXXNXXXXXX.

You can do this with analog cards from Digium or with ATA-186's or one
of the many other "ATA" type devices.

John