[Asterisk-Users] Re: Transfer with Budgetone

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Thu Jun 3 07:57:32 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 05:27, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Eric Wieling wrote:
> > Why are you even looking at VoIP?  Analog ports and phones are pretty
> > cheap.  They are not "pretty", but they are cheap and all the smarts are
> > in the PBX.
>
> Free calls to the US, basically, since the leased line is dirt cheap to
> run.  ie. the purpose of the exercise is to save money not spend it.
>
> I don't define the parameters, just work with them...  I happened to
> mention I was interested in VOIP at the wrong moment and got landed with
> the task.  TBH for what they need they could save a bundle by routing
> the calls through a cheap analogue telco (eg. call18866) and forgetting
> VOIP for a few years until it becomes commodity hardware.

I should have said "Why are you looking at VoIP for the phones?".  Our
largest Asterisk installation (12 phones) uses analog phones and uses
IAX2 to route calls that go to other offices.

We have not found any VoIP phones with the features we want at a price
point we are happy with.  We have like the Zultys ZIP 2, it's a good
extremely basic phone for use in waiting rooms, etc.  No LCD, no switch
port, etc.  Costs about US$100.  We like the new Uniden UIP200 as a
slight step up from the ZIP 2.  The UIP200 has an alphanum LCD, 8
programmable buttons, headset jack, speakerphone, two ethernet ports
(switched).  Costs $120.  It looks like it will be a good phone for
kitchen, NOC, etc use.  We are still testing the UIP200.  Neither of
these phones have more than one call appearance and so would not be
useful for us as a desk phone.

--
          Eric Wieling * BTEL Consulting * 504-899-1387 x2111
"In a related story, the IRS has recently ruled that the cost of Windows