[Asterisk-Users] one extention, multiple phones

Reid A. Forrest reid at cvtelecom.com
Sat Jul 31 20:10:30 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 20:11, Sean McKay wrote:
> Say I want someone to join in on the conversation, I'd rather much have
> them be able to just lift the receiver and begin to talk rather than have
> to do conferencing.
>
>  This is done on PSTN (normal home phone), and I've seen it done on PBX's
> such as the AT&T Merlin and NT Meridian systems. Since the application I'd
> be setting up is basicly upgrading from PSTN to VOIP I'd like to keep that
> feature of being able to share a call (w/o conference) or pick up a call
> on another phone without having to use transfer (blind or regular).
>
>  Also I'd like to say I believe this is possible with the CCM otherwise
> how could an agent (operator) be able to monitor which extensions are in
> use with the 7960 expansion device?

I think you're talking about two different functions. I'm a little bit
rusty on Meridian (it's been a few years since I've worked on them), but
I don't think it can do this either. Monitoring an extension for busy
status is done all the time (IIRC Nortel calls this busy lamp field),
but you still can't just pick up an in-use extension and start talking.
You have to bridge the channels.