[Asterisk-Users] one extention, multiple phones

Sean McKay srd at powertrip.net
Sat Jul 31 17:11:20 MST 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Paul Mahler wrote:

> You can easily ring different phones at the same time within the dial
> command. For example,
>
> SIP/4024&${PRITRUNK1}/16505551212&${PRITRUNK1}/14155551212
>
> A blind transfer will move the call to the next phone. Or you can park the
> call.

 That's not what I want to do. With a traditional PBX or PSTN setup I can
have more than one phone sharing the same extension. What I want to do is
to be able to have one extension (or line) on say 3 phones. When I pick
up the phone on one, the other two are alerted that the line is engaged
and should give a visual indicator on the screen that the line is in use.
Say I want someone to join in on the conversation, I'd rather much have
them be able to just lift the receiver and begin to talk rather than have
to do conferencing.

 This is done on PSTN (normal home phone), and I've seen it done on PBX's
such as the AT&T Merlin and NT Meridian systems. Since the application I'd
be setting up is basicly upgrading from PSTN to VOIP I'd like to keep that
feature of being able to share a call (w/o conference) or pick up a call
on another phone without having to use transfer (blind or regular).

 Also I'd like to say I believe this is possible with the CCM otherwise
how could an agent (operator) be able to monitor which extensions are in
use with the 7960 expansion device?