[Asterisk-Users] New to IP-PBX

James Richards jimmy at kissyfish.org
Fri Jul 30 14:18:10 MST 2004

I have been seeing reccomendations for using asterisk as a soft-pbx with
the reccomendation being to use regular analog phones via FXS rather
than SIP.

Is this still a big issue? Or is this a left-over from previous bad
experiences?  I have been doing demos with SIP phones, and some IAXYs to
whet their apetites, and people are really biting at the feature set I
can provide, and I have run into no problems yet,  but I would love to
know at what threshold of SIP phones does the system start to have
problems.

  The assumption in my scenario is a quality ASUS motherboard, running
RedHat/Debian, 512 MB RAM 10/100 Ethernet, P4 2.4 Ghz processor.

  I am trying to hit the small office market, with up to 20 SIP phones,
and up to 8 POTS lines. (These have been my current limits until I see
the system inaction a bit more)

  Is the problem in using dissimilar SIP phones with different codecs?
Thus burdening the processor with conversion on top of all of the other
work it is doing?

PS, I am having a whale of a time with this software,  and I appreciate
the helpfullness of members of the community...

Jim Richards
Kissyfish