[Asterisk-Users] New to IP-PBX

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Fri Jul 30 15:00:37 MST 2004

If you don't do any transcoding, and turn canreinvite=on for your
sip-clients, there shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't run hundreds
or thousands of extensions on a Celeron 500.  Once you get into
transcoding (or you turn canreinvite=off in order to allow for recording
of conversations), processor speed matters.  AFAIK, the #1 reason for
recommending POTS over SIP is that in an all-IP system, you'll need a
timing source, and that can be tricky on some systems.