[Asterisk-Users] OH323 and codec selection

Michael Manousos manousos at inaccessnetworks.com
Fri Jul 30 09:11:56 MST 2004

Chris A. Icide wrote:
> I'm having a small issue with the oh323 implementation when it comes to
> codec selection.
>
> Version info:
>
> CVS Head 6/30/2004
> OH323 0.6.3
>
> OpenPhone for windows version 1.8.1
>

> Asterisk is configured as a h323 endpoint which either terminates to the
> PSTN locally through a PRI or terminates the h323 call to an IAX
> provider remotely.  Asterisk also has G729 licences installed.
>
> in oh323.conf we set codecs allowed in the following order:
>
> G729
> GSM
> ULAW
> ALAW
>
> When dialing in with OpenPhone with all codecs besides g729 disabled in
> the audio codec configuration panel, oh323 in Asterisk still picks and
> uses GSM as the selected codec.  Only if I disable all but G729 in
> oh323.conf will Asterisk use G729 for an incomming h323 call.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is the order of the codecs in the
> oh323.conf significant, or is some other method of codec selection being
> used?

Yes, the order of the codecs in oh323.conf is significant. I use it with
ohphone (v1.4.3) without problems. Just make sure that you declare the
codec of openphone as the preferred one. I don't know what happens when
you just disable the codecs in openphone (and it seems that it doesn't
work, since the codec that is selected is one of the disabled codecs).

> -Chris

Michael.