[Asterisk-Users] OH323 and codec selection

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Thu Jul 29 11:10:42 MST 2004

I'm having a small issue with the oh323 implementation when it comes to
codec selection.

Version info:

CVS Head 6/30/2004
OH323 0.6.3

OpenPhone for windows version 1.8.1

Asterisk is configured as a h323 endpoint which either terminates to the
PSTN locally through a PRI or terminates the h323 call to an IAX provider
remotely.  Asterisk also has G729 licences installed.

in oh323.conf we set codecs allowed in the following order:

G729
GSM
ULAW
ALAW

When dialing in with OpenPhone with all codecs besides g729 disabled in the
audio codec configuration panel, oh323 in Asterisk still picks and uses GSM
as the selected codec.  Only if I disable all but G729 in oh323.conf will
Asterisk use G729 for an incomming h323 call.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is the order of the codecs in the oh323.conf
significant, or is some other method of codec selection being used?

-Chris