[Asterisk-Users] drivers, kernel 2.6 and distribution

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Jul 27 08:51:12 MST 2004

Carlos Hernandez wrote:

> I use FC2, and I have found the following:
>
> I did not try * with the distro's kernel. I had not started with my
> testing with asterisk.
> I upgraded to kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.1
> I then started my testing, and had troubles loading the zaptel modules
> Someone in the IRC reccomended to use 2.6.7
> I did, copied the .config across, updated all the symlinks, compiled
> 2.6.7 (latest stable at the moment)
> Zaptel now runs fine, asterisks runs fine
>
> I am just learning all about extensions.conf. Asterisk crashes now and
> then when I do something stupid on the extensions.conf. This happens
> mostly when I do changes to the conf files, and do a reload, and I am
> usually "ssh-ing" from a remote location and I have to wait a few
> hours before getting home and hitting the reset button...)
>
> I would say:  should * crash, it should not take the machine with it..

* does *not* take down the whole machine when it crashes. It is the
zaptel drivers, which are modules loaded into the kernel, that are
having problems with the rest of the kernel. It would take a serious
kernel bug for a user program to crash the whole machine. It seems FC2
has one :-)

Regards,
Steve