[Asterisk-Users] drivers, kernel 2.6 and distribution

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Jul 27 23:30:16 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 14:33, Leif Madsen wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:58:04 -0700, Florin Andrei
> <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 13:12, Leif Madsen wrote:
> >
> > > ztdummy works fine on FC2.  I was able to get a TDM400P to work first
> > > try.
> >
> > Using the distro kernel, or the vanilla 2.6?
>
> Distro kernel.

Alright. For the record, in case others are following the same path,
here is what i did:

So this is a Fedora 2 system, fully updated, running kernel
2.6.6-1.435.2.3. The machine is a single-CPU AthlonXP.

Install the kernel-sourcecode package, make the symlink:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 30 Jul 27 20:23 /usr/src/linux-2.6 ->
/usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3

Go to /usr/src/linux-2.6, edit Makefile and change EXTRAVERSION from
-1.435.2.3custom to -1.435.2.3
Save Makefile. Run "make menuconfig", change nothing, exit saving the
config. Run "make" and wait for kernel components to compile.
This ends the preparation stage.

Download the Asterisk 1.0-RC1 RPMs from here (the Fedora 1 packages
since there are no Fedora 2 packages there yet):

ftp://ftp.nacs.net/asterisk

Unpack the zaptel src.rpm (rpm -ivh zaptel...src.rpm), go to
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS, edit zaptel.spec so that the "make" is changed
into a "make linux26" (i could probably automate that, so the package
builds correctly regardless of the kernel, but that's not my goal):

%build
make KINCLUDES=/lib/modules/%{kversion}/build/include
KSMP=%{?ksmp:-D__SMP__} \
     ECHO_CANCELLER=-DECHO_CAN_MARK2 linux26

                                     ^^^^^^^

Save the spec, then build the package:

rpmbuild -ba zaptel.spec

Install the zaptel and kernel-module-zaptel packages. Run "depmod -a"
just in case.

Run "modprobe zaptel". Run "modprobe wcfxs". Both commands yield no
errors whatsoever on my system.

lsmod displays:

Module                  Size  Used by
wcfxs                  32032  0
zaptel                219012  1 wcfxs

dmesg displays:

Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
Freshmaker version: 71
Freshmaker passed register test
Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXS/DPO
Module 1: Installed -- AUTO FXS/DPO
Module 2: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F (4 modules)

All LEDs on the Wildcard are lighted green. Since my server also has two
dual-port Intel Pro/100 NICs (total 4 Ether ports), now the back of the
system looks like a Borg cube control panel. :-)

So far so good. I didn't run any hardware tests yet, but the results so
far are encouraging.

Thanks for the hints.

--
Florin Andrei